The summer is hot and the veg is fresh! That’s why we put together this simple and tasty Harvest Salad recipe which is as crisp as it is filling. If you love crunchy lettuce, tangy goats’ cheese, and nutty pecans, then grab your apron, pop on your Slendertone and let’s dive right in.
Prep Time: approx. 15 minutes
Stock Up On
- 2 oz radicchio lettuce – shredded (radicchio lettuce has a lovely red tinge, but any lettuce will do)
- 7 oz butternut squash – diced
- 3.5 oz quinoa
- 2 oz pecans
- 2.1 oz goat’s cheese
- 1 oz kale
- 0.9 oz pomegranate seeds
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Drizzle of balsamic glaze
- Twist of salt & pepper
- Dice your butternut squash into 1cm squares, season, and roast at 340°F (gas mark 5) until golden, then leave to chill. This takes about 20 minutes so while you wait, you can…
- Cook the quinoa until soft and leave to chill. See our top tip below on how to cook the perfect quinoa!
- Toast pecans in oven at 340°F (gas mark 5) for 3-5 minutes. Can you beat roasted pecans? We don’t think so! Leave to cool and chop roughly
- Slice apple into thin match sticks
- Add some shredded chicory and mix with squash, quinoa, apple, baby kale and pomegranate seeds. Have you heard the paper towel trick to keeping your salad fresh? If not, check out 5 other tips for longer lasting salad leaves here!
- Crumble the goat cheese on top and drizzle with olive oil and balsamic glaze. Finally, garnish with the crushed pecans
Top Tip for Perfect Quinoa
- Rinse the quinoa under cold running water to remove its bitter flavour
- Tip into a pan and add double the amount of salted water
- Place over a medium heat and bring to the boil
- Reduce to a simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, or until tender and the liquid is absorbed
- Fluff it up with a fork
Salads keep best when the dressing is stored separately from the rest. Why not make a big batch of salad and keep it in the fridge for whenever hunger strikes? Just drizzle dressing into individual portions and enjoy!
If you'd like to check out anymore of our blogs you can here